Cat Ba Island
To be known as one of the most famous tourist attractions in the Northside of Vietnam, Cat Ba Island converges both natural factors and interesting activities. Together with Ha Long Bay, Cat Ba Island is one of favourite destinations for those who visit Northern Vietnam.
Cai Beo Harbor at Cat Ba Island
Location and Transportation to Cat Ba Island:
To be considered as a precious pearl of Vietnam, Cat Ba Island is situated in Cat Hai district, Hai Phong City. At first, Cat Ba Island belongs to the region of Cat Ba district which in 1977 was officially merged with Cat Hai district to create the new Cat Hai district.
Before that, this island was a part of Quang yen Province, then it was considered as a destination in Hong Quang area. Until 1956, it was finally recognized as an area in Hai Phong City.
There are several ways to visit Cat Ba Island, you can either go on your own by buses, cars, and motorbikes or just simply signing up for a tour. My recommendation is to take a tour since you can observe and learn more about this destination through the information the tour guides gave you. In details:
- If you start from Hanoi, you can catch a bus in the Luong Yen station which will help you directly reach to Cat Ba Island in just a few hours.
- If your starting point is Hai Phong, you can take the Ben Binh high-speed train. You can also go to Dinh Vu ferry if you want to travel by ferries, cars or motorbikes.
- In the case that you want to visit the Cat Ba Island from Quang Ninh Province, then you should go to Tuan Chau island where has ferries to Gia Luan Commune, Cat Ba.
Cat Ba Island
The legend related to Cat Ba Island:
All of the locals in Cat Ba Island can fluently tell you about an old tale that directly related to the name of Cat Ba Island. Legend has it that years ago, this island was the rear that prepared and offered food and army for the war which protected the survival of this country.
The wives and the daughters had built many warehouses that contained food and army for their husbands and sons in order to help them fight against the invaders. Therefore, this island was called the Cac Ba Island then was officially changed into Cat Ba Island.
Although no one can verify the accuracy of the legend, there is a fact, which has been proved by the history. The fact states that the Cat Ba Island is not only the place where the armor-plated stakes were produced and hidden, but it also was a strong rear that played a great role in the Bach Dang Victory, which happened in 938 when Ngo Quyen commended his soldiers to fight against the South China invaders.
In addition, in 1288, there was also an event that occurred in Bach Dang River. It’s the event of the Superior Commander Tran Hung Dao fighting against the Mongolian invasion. According to the history, Cat Ba Island was also the destination where the soldiers trained and practiced the strategy which tricked the invaders into the trap in Bach Dang River.
More than that, Cat Ba Island, due to its ideal geographical position, is also where we stored our food and hide our warships in the war against invaders on the East Ocean.
Due to the depth of history, there is an activity that is considered as a long-standing tradition of the locals. It is the Dragon boat racing. The races seem to simulate the magnanimous atmosphere of the wars in Bach Dang River years ago. The young boys play the role of the soldiers who used to bear full responsibility in fighting for the survival of our country. Along with the cheers of their mothers, wives, and sisters, the festival becomes more boisterous than ever.
This festival is also related to an event when Ho Chi Minh president paid a visit to the island on 1st April 1959. The starting point of the race was the Ca village where President Ho Chi Minh visited the people in this fishing village.
A resort on Cat Ba Island
Activities you cannot miss when you come to Cat Ba:
- Going kayaking and explore Lan Ha Bay: If you are a person who loves adventures, exploring Lan Ha Bay with a kayak is absolutely born for you.
- Going swimming and sunbathing in beautiful beaches in Cat Ba Island: Coming to Cat Ba Island, certainly, you cannot resist the beauty of the beaches here. Containing many beaches that are in the top most beautiful beaches of Vietnam, this is a perfect place for visitors to go swimming or sunbathe.
- Visiting the old Cai Beo fishing village: This is one of the most long-standing fishing villages of Vietnam. Coming here, you can enjoy the peaceful atmosphere and the serene floating life of the locals.
- Visiting Viet Hai village: the fishing village Viet Hai is in the middle of the ocean with many surrounding mountains and forests. With the local hospitality as well as the wild beauty, this village has attracted more and more visitors throughout the years.
- Sightseeing from the Than Cong fortress: This is a historical relic of Cat Ba island which is also called the Height 177.
- Visiting the Cat Ba National Park: As one of the World Heritage designated as a biosphere reserve, this is the most favorite destination in Cat Ba Island.
- A trip to the Monkey Island: If you’re an animal lover, then Monkey Island is promised to be your favorite place to go this summer.
Seafood at Cat Ba Island
If you have a chance, please visit Cat Ba Island once. I promise that the experience here is absolutely worth-to-go. With the given natural beauty combining with a list of many activities, Cat Ba Island will be the trip you cannot forget.
Articles of Cat Ba Island:
(Copyright: Incredible Vietnam Travel)